Tequila has long been an artisanal product that takes great care, skill and time to produce. Add to that some limited edition and over the top bottles and you have the recipe for some seriously expensive juice.
Here’s the most expensive tequilas you can buy right now and their average prices at March 2023. This list only includes tequilas that are in standard 750 ml formats, are available in at least a few stores and ignores any outliers when coming to the average. Prices sourced from Wine Searcher.
Note: If you’re looking for the $3.5m diamond and platinum tequila bottle known as Ley Del Diamante or Diamond Sterling by Ley .925, read why it’s NOT the world’s most expensive tequila.
Table of Contents
Top 20 Most Expensive Tequilas in March 2023
|1. Clase Azul Master Artisans||Extra añejo||$18,780|
|2. Patrón En Lalique Serie 3||Extra añejo||$9,650|
|3. Clase Azul Puebla||Extra añejo||$9,260|
|4. Patrón En Lalique Serie 2||Extra añejo||$8,930|
|5. Patrón En Lalique Serie 1||Extra añejo||$7,530|
|6. Clase Azul MGM Resorts||Gold/joven||$5,970|
|7. Clase Azul 20 Aniversario||Reposado||$5,280|
|8. Jose Cuervo 250 Aniversario||Extra añejo||$5,140|
|9. Clase Azul Pink Reposado||Reposado||$4,240|
|10. Código 1530 14-Year Extra Añejo||Extra añejo||$3,900|
|11. Código 1530 13-Year Extra Añejo||Extra añejo||$3,650|
|12. Clase Azul Ultra Extra Añejo||Extra añejo||$2,010|
|13. Clase Azul 25 Aniversario||Reposado||$1,980|
|14. Asombroso The Collaboration||Extra añejo||$1,910|
|15. Asombroso del Porto||Extra añejo||$1,870|
|16. Tesla Tequila||Añejo||$1,760|
|17. Cincoro Extra Añejo||Extra añejo||$1,580|
|18. Casa Dragones Pedro Reyes Epicuro||Gold/Joven||$1,360|
|19. Padre Azul Cristalino||Añejo (cristalino)||$1,240|
|20. Fuenteseca Reserva 21 year||Extra añejo||$1,240|
The most expensive tequila currently for sale is Clase Azul Master Artisans, at an average price of $18,780. It is almost twice the price of the second most expensive tequila, Patrón en Lalique Serie 3, which is priced at $9,650. Rounding out the top 3 most expensive tequilas in the world is another by Clase Azul, Clase Azul Puebla. All of the most expensive tequilas are made from 100% agave.
By contrast, the most expensive mezcals in the world are a bargain – the most expensive is aged for 30 years and you can get is for less than $1,000.
What brand makes the most expensive tequilas in the world?
Clase Azul is the brand with the highest number of entries in the top 20, including number one. Seven Clase Azul tequila releases are in the top 20 most expensive tequilas. Six of the seven are limited releases. Clase Azul Ultra is the 12th most expensive tequila in the world and is part of the brand’s regular line up.
Patrón has the second most number of expensive tequilas with three. Patrón makes three of the top five most expensive tequilas in the world, all part of their Patrón en Lalique series. Patrón is the world’s #2 highest selling tequila brand overall.
Most expensive celebrity tequila
The most expensive celebrity tequila is Código 1530 14-Year Extra Añejo from George Strait. It costs $3,900 and is the 10th most expensive tequila overall. The American country music singer’s label also makes the 11th most expensive tequila, Código 1530 13-Year Extra Añejo. Código 1530 is also noted for its early move into pink tequilas, although these are much more affordable.
Elon Musk’s Tesla Tequila is the next most expensive celebrity tequila, currently selling for $1,760, followed by NBA legend Michael Jordan’s Cincoro Extra Añejo which is priced at $1,580. I recently compiled a list and counted around 50 different celebrity tequila brands, so there is definitely some competition.
What kind of tequilas are most expensive?
The most common type of expensive tequila is extra añejo. 13 of the top 20 most expensive tequilas are extra añejo, meaning they have been aged at least three years in oak barrels. Many of the most pricy tequilas are aged much more than this. The oldest aged tequila in the top 20 is Fuenteseca’s 21 year aged edition.
Most expensive blanco tequila
The blanco class seems largely ignored when it comes to pricy tequilas. The most expensive blanco, or silver tequila is Loco Puro Corazon at $349 per bottle. There are of course very expensive cristalinos and joven tequilas that look like blancos, however these are at least partially aged so are not technically in the same class.
Most expensive reposado tequila
The highest priced reposado tequila is Clase Azul 20 Aniversario. Reposados are usually cheaper due to their shorter time aging. However, this limited collectable bottle is aged just four months and currently sells for $5,280 making it the seventh most expensive tequila in the world. It is also the youngest aged tequila on the top 20 list.
Most expensive cristalino tequila
The most expensive cristalino is Padre Azul Cristalino. This is an añejo tequila that has been charcoal filtered to remove all color and provide an even smoother taste. Just 1,000 bottles were produced, which are topped with a Swarovski crystal skull stopper.
Cristalino style tequilas are relatively new and are already very popular in Mexico, and increasingly popular in the US.
Most expensive joven or gold tequila
The most expensive joven tequila is Clase Azul MGM Resorts at $5,970. It is the sixth most expensive tequila in the world currently.
The bottle was released to be exclusively available at MGM Resorts in Las Vegas including Bellagio, ARIA and the MGM Grand. A shot of Clase Azul MGM Resorts costs $60 a pour.
Joven tequila, also known as gold, is a class of tequila that mixes unaged blanco tequila with tequila that has been aged in oak barrels for more than two months.
Clase Azul MGM Resorts is made from 20% blanco tequila, 50% reposado (aged eight months) and 10% Clase Azul Ultra (aged five years in sherry casks).
Most expensive tequilas from top brands
- The most expensive bottle of Jose Cuervo is Jose Cuervo 250 Aniversario, which costs $5,140.
- Jose Cuervo is the oldest tequila producer in Mexico, and hence the world, and this 250th anniversary edition proves it.
- The blend includes some tequila that is over 100 years old found in the company’s storage cellars.
- The most expensive bottle of Don Julio tequila is Don Julio Real, which costs $928.
- In June 2021 it was announced that Don Julio Real would be discontinued, driving further scarcity. The original retail price of the bottle was $350.
- The most expensive Don Julio 1942 is the Ultima Reserva Extra Añejo, which costs $600.
- The most expensive bottle of Herradura is the 150th Aniversario Extra Añejo, at $513.
- This tequila is aged for 100 months in American white oak barrels.
- The next most expensive tequila from Herradura is Seleccion Suprema, costing $358.
- While not a tequila, the most expensive bottle of Dos Hombres mezcal is the Tobala, which costs $360.
- The base level of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul’s mezcal costs just $55.
- The most expensive bottle of 1800 tequila is Milenio Extra Añejo, which costs $219.
- The 1800 brand sits in Jose Cuervo’s line up and strikes a more affordable price than its most premium brands.
- The most expensive bottle of Sauza is XA Edicion Limitada Extra Añejo, which costs $180.
- Outside of this limited edition bottling, the most expensive Sauza is the añejo at just $20.
- Sauza also has other ranges, the slightly more premium Hornitos (most expensive is the Añejo Cristalino at $33), and the Tres Generaciones line (most expensive is also the Añejo Cristalino at $60)
- The most expensive bottle of Avion is Reserva Tequila Cristalino Añejo, which costs $142.
- In 2015 Avion also released a special Mayweather Edition which cost $1,500. The bottle was released to mark boxer Floyd Mayweather’s 50th professional fight.
- The most expensive bottle of Milagro is Select Barrel Reserve Añejo, which costs $66.
- As a more budget-friendly brand, Milagro, or more fully Leyenda del Milagro, doesn’t stray too far into top priced tequilas.
- The most expensive bottle of Casamigos is the Añejo expression, priced at $62.
- To date Casamigos has been wildly successful with its core range and is yet to branch out into special editions.
- Casamigos also has a mezcal which costs a little more at $69.
- The most expensive bottle of The Rock’s Teremana is the añejo, which costs $41.
- Like Casamigos, this relatively new brand has been sticking to its core range, and prides itself on offering accessible priced tequilas.
Why are the tequilas so expensive?
The top 20 most expensive tequilas average over $4,800 per bottle – why are they so expensive? A few reasons:
People are willing to pay thousands for a bottle of tequila
- If brands can charge thousands of dollars for a bottle they will. The number of expensive releases shows there’s no shortage of buyers.
- The Patrón en Lalique series has a recommended retail price of $7,500. Current prices for the second and third series are well above this level, proving there’s certainly demand.
Bottle runs are limited editions
- Almost all of the most expensive tequilas are limited editions, increasing scarcity and definitely the price. For example:
- Patrón en Lalique series 1 to 3 were limited to 500, 299 and 299 bottles for each respective release
- Clase Azul Master Artisians were limited to 300 bottles
- Jose Cuervo 250 Aniversario were limited to 495 bottles
- Padre Azul Cristalino was limited to 1,000 bottles
Bottles are being sold as works of art
- Take away the bottle itself and few people would pay for just what’s inside. Clase Azul has led this charge and has focussed on partnering with emerging and established artists to create its bottle designs.
- For example, the most expensive tequila available is Clase Azul Master Artisans. The first edition ceramic bottle was designed by renowned ceramicist Ángel Santos Juarez.
- Many drinkers will choose to keep the bottles for display long after they finish what’s inside, if they even open it.
The bottles themselves are expensive
- While they don’t quite justify the whole price, expensive tequila bottles are often very labor-intensive. For example the bottle for Casa Dragones Pepita Joven (priced at around $1,100) apparently takes 100 hours to make.
- Making unique bottle runs in low numbers also adds to the price, as the design and set up costs are spread over a smaller number.
Bottles as status symbols
- It’s long been a trend in ritzy clubs such as in Las Vegas to order outrageously priced bottles and let everyone know about it. Oversized, easily identifiable bottles such as Clase Azul can be seen across the club, and are definitely attention getters.
Most expensive tequilas from major online stores and marketplaces
The most expensive tequilas available at major online stores generally reflect the above averages. Patrón’s en Lalique series is well represented although depending where you buy from, prices may be very different.
For example, you can save over $3,000 on Patrón en Lalique Serie 2 by shopping at Old Town Tequila compared to ordering through Drizly (in San Francisco). A wider price dispersion is to be expected given such limited releases.
Top 5 Most Expensive Tequilas on Drizly
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 2, $9,899
- Codigo 1530 Extra Anejo 13 Year, $5,000
- Clase Azul 25th Anniversary Reposado, $3,600
- Jose Cuervo 250th Aniversario Extra Añejo, $2,110
- Cincoro Extra Añejo, $2,000
Top 5 Most Expensive Tequilas on ReserveBar
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 1, $8,253
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 2, $8,125
- Codigo 1530 Extra Anejo 14 Year, $3,505
- Jose Cuervo 250th Aniversario Extra Añejo, $2,867
- Codigo 1530 Extra Anejo 13 Year, $2,308
Top 5 Most Expensive Tequilas at Old Town Tequila
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 3, $8,000
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 1, $6,900
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 2, $6,799
- Casa Dragones Joven Gabriel Orozco, $3,990
- Codigo 1530 Extra Anejo 14 Year, $3,399
Top 5 Most Expensive Tequilas at Total Wine
- Dos Armadillas Extra Anejo Silver, $12,300
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 2, $9,000
- Patrón En Lalique Serie 3, $8,600
- Codigo 1530 Extra Anejo 14 Year, $4,000
- Codigo 1530 13 Year Extra Anejo Tequila, $3,300